13 1/2 East Wheeling Street, Washington, PA 15301 | 724-222-2860
The handsome brick building that sits on the corner of Wheeling and Main streets that is home to the Union Grill has been a place of hospitality since the 1700’s. Charles Valentine purchased the land on the northeast corner and built a log house on the lot, opening the inn and tavern under the name “White Goose” in the fall of 1791.
John Rettig acquired the property in 1806, renaming the tavern “Golden Swan”, but more popularly referred to as “the Sign of the Swan”. In 1808, printers William Sample and William B Brown stopped at the Swan and tavern owner Rettig convinced the men to set up shop in the basement (currently the Union Grill location). On August 15, 1808, The Reporter debuted, with the first advertisement featuring the “Sign of the Swan” establishment. John Rettig respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that he continues to keep a HOUSE OF ENTERTAINMENT at the above stand, in the town of Washington. He has provided himself with a complete assortment of liquors, all of which are the best kinds…his attention to business will, he entrusts, entitle him to a share of public patronage.
After the old building was torn down in 1846, a three story brick building was erected, appropriately called the Valentine House, named after the family whom took over the business in 1819. A grease fire in the hotel kitchen destroyed the building in 1899. Purchased and rebuilt by the Siegel brothers, it was renamed the Siegel Hotel and later the William Henry Hotel.
The Union Grill, named so because of the stone masons and union workers who used to frequent the tavern, was opened in 1967 by Michael Flynn, and is a family owned operation restaurant business.
The Union Grill, conveniently located at the corner of Wheeling and Main, was nominated one of the top 20 Independent Restaurants in Pennsylvania. Our menu consists of some of the finest Italian-American dishes in Washington County. Our beautifully crafted bar features local drafts and an extensive wine collection. We offer savory lunch and dinner features daily along with homemade soups (Italian Wedding is a hometown favorite), and delectable appetizers (best zucchini in town by far). Our menu conveniently labels our Grill favorites with a martini glass, just like the one featured on our window out front. Afterwards, indulge in one of our scrumptious desserts, such as our famous Italian Almond torte or try our seasonal favorite. Our seating capacity welcomes 150 guests with various seating arrangements to accommodate larger parties.